Smoked Gouda and Apricot Scones
Soft and delicious these scones will leave you reaching for another one.
- 3 ⅓ cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 8 oz Knott’s Smoked Gouda Pimiento Cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1 large egg
- Zest of half an orange
- ¼ cup milk, plus 1-2 tablespoons more if needed
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grate the frozen butter into a bowl and stick back in the freezer until ready to use.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the cheese and butter using a pastry blender, fork, mixer or your fingers.
- Stir in the apricots.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, zest and milk.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently with your hands or a fork until the dough is evenly moistened.
- Turn dough onto a floured piece of parchment or waxed paper and fold it over several times until it holds together. Pat the dough into a ¾” square.
- Cut the dough into squares.
- Brush the tops lightly with milk. Place them 2” apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until the tops are light golden brown.
- Serve with honey butter or raspberry jam.